Thursday, March 6, 2008

Easter

There’s good news from the graveyard this morning.
Good news that the tomb is empty.
Good news that Jesus rose from the dead.
Good news that the devil couldn’t hold him.
Good news that death has lost its sting.
Good news that the grave has lost its victory.
Good news that we need not fear death any more.

As far as I know my heart this morning, I am not afraid to die. Not because I am especially brave. For I am not. But I know what’s on the other side. My Lord has come back and told me what I can expect. I don’t have anything to worry about.

If you hear that I have died tonight, when you bury me, stick up a sign that says, “Temporary residence.” I’m coming back up. You can count on it. I say that without any sense of pride or boasting. For my resurrection does not depend on me.
It does not depend on my good deeds.
It does not depend on any merit in me at all.

It depends solely and wholly on my Lord Jesus Christ, who rose from the dead on Easter Sunday morning. He promised that if I would trust in him, someday I would rise with him. I’ve staked my entire life on that promise. If it’s not true, I have no other hope.

But it is true. That’s why I don’t plan on staying dead forever.
Don’t Look in the Graveyard
Good news from the graveyard? That’s a strange place for good news. But that’s what Easter is all about. If you’re looking for Jesus today, don’t look in the graveyard. He isn’t there. He left the graveyard 2,000 years ago and never went back.

The really good news is this … If you are looking for Jesus today, you can meet him right now. May I introduce you to him? His name is Jesus of Nazareth. He is the Son of God from heaven. God so loved you that he sent Jesus to die on the cross for you. He was buried in Joseph’s tomb. He rose from the dead on Easter Sunday morning. He paid for your sins so that if you believe in him you will never perish but have everlasting life.

Are you trusting the One who rose from the dead? Jesus is alive and standing with open arms inviting you to accept his offer of eternal life. The door to Heaven is wide open. I invite you to take a step of faith and allow Jesus to prove to you that he is alive. I extend to you a personal invitation to consider becoming a Christian: If your soul is hungry for something more than you have found, try Jesus. If Jesus is knocking on the door of your heart, make sure you open the door.

Each of us has an appointment with death sooner or later. But that is a cause for rejoicing—not for fear, provided we have put our trust in the One who holds the keys of life and death. Here is the final proof that death has been destroyed. When Jesus rose from the dead, he left the door to the tomb wide open. That means we won’t have to fight our way out of the grave when he calls us to wake up. He left the door open 2,000 years ago. That is God’s guarantee that even though we die, we won’t stay dead forever.

One final word and I am done. Perhaps you’ve seen the billboard with a picture of Jesus hanging on the cross. Underneath the picture are three words: “It’s your move.”

Jesus died on the cross. It’s your move now.
Jesus rose from the dead. It’s your move now.

God has answered our deepest questions with the simplicity of an empty tomb. On this happy Easter morning I declare to you that Jesus Christ is alive. My friend, what will you say to that? What difference does it make to you? Will you give him your heart and your life? Will you trust him as Lord and Savior?

It’s your move now.

No comments: